On December 3, 2020, the IDPD commemoration commenced with the District Anthem at 12:05am. The guests and celebrity of the day were introduced.
Present at the celebration were children with disabilities in the Project School, the representative of the Education District 1, the Country Director of ActionAid Nigeria, the Executive Direcor of Human Development Initiatives, a Celebrity and ActionAid Ambassador – Hilda Dokubo, a representative of the National body of the Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT), The Chairperson of the Committee on Education – Joint National Association of Persons with Disabilities (JONAPWD), the media.
Each guests presented their speeches to celebrate with the children, encourage them and called on the Lagos State Government to, among other things:
- Increase disbursement of more funds to support inclusive education,
- Fast-track the implementation of inclusive education policy
- Recruit more teachers and ensure that 20% of teachers’ recruitment is set aside for teachers with special needs skills as a way of progressively promoting inclusive education
- Ensure that the Medium Term Sector Strategy MTSS is seen to promote inclusive education and build the capacity of initiators on gender and disability-based budgeting;
- Make special provision especially transportation, housing for teachers posted to rural and hard-to-reach areas of the State; and
- Do more to ensure that school infrastructure, facilities and surrounding are accessible to children with disabilities.
The members of the Safe Space Club with their other colleagues presented songs and performed a drama to illustrate the barriers children with disabilities face and that every child has a chance to excel in his/her chosen career if provided with the right support. Children with disabilities rendered special songs also.
The celebration also showcased how pupils can support their colleagues with disabilities; and they finally gave gifts to them such as biscuits, pencils and pens, note books, and novels. HDI offered all the children with disabilities in the school scholarship up till tertiary level based on academic performance.
Finally, a foundation for the provision of access route and ramp within the school was laid.
Each guests presented their speeches to celebrate with the children, encourage them and called on the Lagos State Government to, among other things.