Advertising for education consultant
EXPRESSION OF INTEREST FOR A SHORT-TERM CONSULTANCY
Human Development Initiatives (HDI) is a leading not-for-profit Non-Governmental Organisation with partners across the six geo-political zones in Nigeria. For over nineteen years, HDI has been working in different areas of human and social development particularly in empowerment, child rights, human rights, law, policy and governance reforms.
HDI, referred to as an Anchor organisation with the support of USAID Strengthening Advocacy and Civic Engagement (SACE) Project has embarked on a project to improve and enhance governance and accountability for quality, effective and accessible primary and junior secondary education at the Local Government in Nigeria with regards to Universal Basic Education (UBE) statutory and policy framework. Sequel to achieving the project goals, HDI works with a consortium of cluster members in Lagos, Enugu and Kano States including Federal Capital Territory (FCT) to advance advocacy, civic engagement and public awareness. Hence, SACE project seeks to strengthen the capacity of Civil Society Organisations to effectively engage and influence public/government institutions whose function is to serve citizens’ interests and bring about the needed positive change.
Universal Basic Education (UBE), in accordance with the Universal Basic Education Act (2004) has the primary focus of achieving basic education for all. Specifically, to meet basic learning needs of children under school age with a view to inculcating literacy and developing them intellectually, morally, socially, physically and emotionally. Thus, eradicate illiteracy, ignorance and poverty and as well accelerate national development.
However, researches have shown that despite the annual budgetary allocations to UBE, ineffective deployment mechanisms; and non-participation and weak civic participation in monitoring and tracking UBE funds’ utilization, has continued to create major setbacks to actualizing the intended goals of the UBE programme.
- Review existing SUBEB policy in target states on monitoring system, identify the gaps that could be referenced as basis for the inclusion of independent and external monitoring teams at State levels.
- To develop a clear set of transparency accountability tool kits.
- To develop a training module to be used for training
It is against this background that the project seeks to hire a Consultant (Education Sector/Monitoring Expert) for a short-term assignment to take place from late April 2017 through late May, 2017. The Consultant is expected to:
- draft policy brief on incorporation of CSOs into Monitoring of the implementation of UBE Policy in Enugu, Kano, Lagos and Federal Capital Territory.
- develop a clear set of transparency and accountability tools kit or set for independent and citizens participation in monitoring and tracking education budgets; and the implementation of SUBEB Action Plans for effective checks and balances to ensure proper utilisation of UBE funds.
- draft policy brief on incorporation of CSOs into Monitoring of the implementation of UBE Policy.
- Transparency and accountability tools for monitoring and tracking education budgets and implementation of SUBEB Action Plans
- Training Module for a 2-day training for project partners on tracking and reporting the utilisation of education budgets and SUBEB action plans’ implementation, policy analysis and effective engagement with relevant government institutions.
- Sensitization and facilitating a 2-day capacity building training for project partners using the training module
Qualifications and Experience
- A minimum of University-level degree in relevant field
- Strong experience and understanding of Transparency, Accountability and Good Governance (TAGG)
- Past experience in developing transparency and accountability tools for monitoring and evaluation
- Training and facilitation experience
- Experience in working with CSOs in Nigeria will be an added advantage
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Willingness/ability to travel within Nigeria, as needed, to deliver on the assignment
The Consultant will report to the Executive Director (ED) or her designee. All deliverables must be approved by the ED and Project Program Officer (PPO) prior to payment of the consultant’s invoice. The Consultant will liaise with the HDI Team of Program Officers where appropriate.
The proposed timing of this assignment is between April 24 and May 31, 2017.
Location, Timing, and Level of Effort
The estimated level of effort is up to 25 days to include work days and in-country travel. Level of effort is estimated as follows:
- Review existing SUBEB policy on monitoring system, identify the gaps that could be referenced as basis for the inclusion of independent and external monitoring teams at State levels – 8 days
- draft policy brief on incorporation of CSOs into Monitoring of the implementation of UBE Policy –8 days
- Draft set of transparency and accountability tools for monitoring and tracking education budgets and implementation of SUBEB – 3 days
- Develop Training Module for a 2-day training for project partners on the issues identified above – 3 days
- Deliver and provide technical capacity during training for project partners – 2 days
- Report writing on a 2-day training for project partners – 1 day
The consultant is free to adjust level of effort as desired so long as the maximum of 25 days is not exceeded.
Submission of Application
Interested candidates should send their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Consultant – Education Sector/Monitoring Expert’ as email Subject Matter, no later than Friday, April 14, 2017 before 5:00pm. Application should comprise a cover letter addressing the key skills identified and current curriculum vitae (in pdf or doc format). Applications from women, people with disabilities and young professionals are strongly encouraged. Note: only shortlisted applicants will be contacted; no follow up e-mails, please.